Saturday, November 11, 2017

Wool Belt Projects

I started a bunch of projects for myself and friends in September 2017 - almost all of which were belts.  Even though I had just started, I felt that I could make something that someone might want to wear that was nice!  I was happy to wear the wool garters I made in the previous post and my friends were very encouraging, so why not?  This post contains some of the belts I made for myself and friends.  The first couple are for me and a lady friend of mine and the bottom two are for a squire (in the SCA they wear red belts) and a knight (they wear white belts).

All of these are basic patterns that I found in this really useful book that a friend told me about: http://www.salakirjat.net/product/74/applesies-and-fox-noses---finnish-tabletwoven-bands

Half of it is in Finnish and half of it is in English, but it has been the single most helpful text resource I've found thus far.  I still use this book to double check that I've set my patterns the correct way!  I highly recommend it to anyone that is considering learning tablet weaving.  I have some other books, but they weren't nearly as helpful and this one has a lot of historical patterns!

This is a belt I made for me!
Finished belt (if you look closely you can see that I made a mistake in this pattern, but I decided to just use it anyway - sometimes you just have to except that you made a small mistake that other people probably won't notice unless they look really closely!).

A wider belt for my friend Stephanie in the colors she requested.
Finished belt - I made this before I looked at other belts and noticed they had left string to look like tassels.
Different belt pattern for a fancy squire belt for David!


Finished squire belt for David - this is after I learned that I should leave some thread for that pretty tassel look!
Here's a knight belt I made for my friend Colin - I forgot to take an in process photo of this one, but I did it all the same color so you can't see the pattern very well.  It looks nice and will be a good informal belt!


No comments:

Post a Comment