Monday, November 13, 2017

More Silk, Patterns, and Resources

I'm in the midst of several projects for friends, this blue/black/yellow silk number being the latest one!  I like the pattern, it kind of reminds me of water even though they are broken diamonds.
The silk thread makes all of the patterns look very crisp in delicate.  Most patterns are blocked like they are for wool, so it is always a bit of a surprise what they'll end up looking like.

A "beginning" shot.  You can see that it takes a few rows to set the pattern and the width nicely.

This is the pattern I used for this project.  The books I mentioned in previous posts are informative on how to read patterns.  I read them visually, so I do not need them to be listed A, B, C, D.  The top box is the top tablet hole furthest from me, the bottom box is the top hole closest to me, the second to top box is the bottom hole furthest from me, and the third from the top box is the bottom hole closest to me.  The colors are the color of thread to use (it can be any color, so long as it is different from the other one).  It also tells you how to have the tablets positioned (in S or Z which is how the thread is run through the tablet).
I've been enjoying the Historical Tablet Weaving Facebook forum lately - now that I understand how to read patterns and what to look for, I can save things that I like and might use some day.  A Finnish contributor recently posted their blog with an exciting pattern and research that I'd like to look at a little bit later in my weaving.  Here's an example of what I'm aiming for in my own SCA experience/research: https://hibernaatio.blogspot.fi/2016/09/new-research-on-hallstatt-3-tablet.html?m=1

It is a beautiful band and not entirely beyond my grasp.  Getting to this point in the process is cool because I can understand the difficulty of patterns and see how close I am to being able to do them.  As always, post if you have any questions (or advice!).

2 comments:

  1. Kris Leet taught me this trick: When you start, insert 4 or so short, thin dowels instead of weft thread. Then start weaving. They stabilize everything so your first inch of weaving looks great. When you're done, just pull the dowels out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip! About how big are the dowels? Pencil sized? Toothpick sized?

      Delete