Tuesday, March 15, 2022

An Tir Kingdom A&S Championship 2022

An Tir's Kingdom Arts & Sciences championship competition was held last weekend (March 11-13, 2022) in the Barony of Wastekeep (Tri-Cities).  Entrants can submit display-only entries, single entries, or full entries (usually three entries, but was reduced to two this year due to COVID/plague times). 

I was initially hesitant to enter this year because I had planned to save the Birka/Silk Road research paper I wrote for the Three Mountains Championship to submit a full entry in 2023.  Shortly after I stepped up as Three Mountains Champion, I discovered that the requirement for full entries had been reduced this year from three to two entries to promote participation (since we had just switched back to live eventing).  Suddenly my year long plan to create an additional two entries got upended and I started to consider whether I could create a brocade band in time for the event (it takes many many hours) and do all the research needed.  With some gentle encouragement from the new Three Mountains Baron and Baroness, I decided to throw my hat in the ring and give it a shot.

I first read through and updated my existing Birka - Silk Road of the North paper for content and added additional references.  I then revised (with some assistance) the paper for readability, structure, pacing, and format (thanks Maude/Reginleif for your review and comments).  I also rehashed my display to make it more suited for a high-traffic environment.  I kept most of my original presentation with a few changes to incorporate additional resources and information.

My object entry, Examination and Execution of the Birka B21 band, had to be made from scratch.  I had already done quite a bit of research on the Birka B6 band, so some of the social context portions were applicable.  Unfortunately, the band was from a different grave (the individual, grave layout, and contents needed discovery activities and documenting), so much of the prior research I had done could not be directly applied.  Luckily, I had resources already to find the information I was hunting for. After a good deal of preliminary work, I was able to start weaving the B21 band and polishing my paper/presentation.  I used a similar display format to my previous B6 band display because it was well received when it was entered as a single entry.

I was incredible nervous the week leading into the event. I felt underprepared despite, probably, being decently ready for the event.  I was really grateful that two other women from my home barony (Stromgard) decided to enter the competition with me. Knowing that Helvi and Aíbinn were going through the same stress and nervousness that I was definitely made me feel like I had comrades in arms this time around.  They both gave me words of encouragement throughout the event and I can only hope that I provided them the same support!

Going into Saturday (presentation day) I was anxious, but felt reasonably confident about the papers and the object I entered.  Presentations aren't my strong suit, frankly.  I'm an introvert with quite a bit of social anxiety so it takes a lot for me to find the courage to stand in front of people (even friends) and say anything coherent.  I end up reading a lot from cards because that's the only way I can succinctly deliver all the content I want without shaking or forgetting everything. I practiced a bit in advance, but still felt a bit wobbly, especially with my research paper presentation.

Link to videos of my Birka/Silk Road of the North research paper and Birka B21 brocade tablet woven band presentations

All my documentation/papers (including these from KA&S) can be found in the first pinned post on this blog.

The Silk Road of the North Research Paper Display (photo by Maviş)

After getting all my jitters out of the way on the research paper presentation, my Birka B21 brocade band presentation felt really natural and fun.  I was very excited coming into the event because I've never been so proud of a brocade band I've made before creating B21.  I changed my technique and things just seemed to click together and go really smoothly.  It felt like a good omen, so it ended up being really enjoyable to share with my judges.

Birka B21 Brocade Tablet Woven Band Display/Presentation (photo by Brandr)

Waiting in evening court for scores was pretty much the longest wait of my life - mainly because its always my goal to do a little better in competitions than the time I entered before.  For me, I truly was hoping to score Scholar of An Tir for both entries (80%).  I wasn't certain about how my research paper would score because it was my first time entering a research paper as an entry at the Kingdom level.  Usually its good to enter a project as a single entry first, look at the feedback, and make changes the next go (that's just my personal philosophy).  I was truly floored when they announced it had scored so high.  I was even more shocked when they announced how high my B21 brocade band scored.  I had joked with my husband before the event about bringing and extra outfit just in case, but I never really dreamed that I'd be a finalist on Sunday... so suddenly incredible waves of nervousness and anxiety hit me!

After getting really wonderful encouragement and advice from my laurel, Reginleif, and other close friends, I relaxed, surrounded myself with loving people and went to bed early.  THEN I STARED AT THE CEILING FOR TWO HOURS THINKING ABOUT HOW MY PRESENTATION WAS HIGHLY TECHNICAL AND COMPLETELY GEARED TOWARDS PEOPLE THAT KNOW A LOT ABOUT WEAVING.  *ahem* I ended up brainstorming some ways to change it up to be more approachable (already some solid advice I was given from my laurel) and decided that I'd explain the core concepts of what I do in my introduction.

Then it was the morning and time to go!  I won the coin toss and chose to present first because... frankly, if my stomach did anymore flips I was going to need to be confined to the restroom.  I thought it went as well as it could have gone for me and that I answered the questions I was asked to the best of my ability.  No matter what, I was proud of myself because I don't think I could have done a better job!  Gareth, my competitor, is an incredibly talented musician and I've had the pleasure of hearing him perform before.  I knew that our entries were pretty much entirely incomparable, so it really had to come down to what the judges were looking for.  I'm just incredibly honored and grateful that I some how came out on top, as I could totally accept and understand if Gareth had been chosen instead.  I'm so thrilled that TRMs created a position for him to hold in their court - he is truly a remarkable artist.

Finalist Presentations - Youtube Link

After I was announced as the Champion, all of my emotions came gushing out of my face.  I'm still in shock, but I'm going to work hard to be the best ambassador of Arts & Sciences that I can possibly be.  I appreciate everyone that has supported and had faith in me from the bottom of my heart.

Right before my finalist presentation (photo by Brandr)

Receiving the championship regalia (photo by Brandr)

Receiving the championship regalia (photo by Brandr)


Brandr (my husband) hugging me so I don't fall over from shock (photo by Dagmar)

Final B21 brocade band photgraphed in 3 interior lightings (photo by me)

B21 band outside (modeled by me) for a daylight photo (best brocade lighting for photos - selfie by me)






No comments:

Post a Comment