Thursday, February 1, 2018

Trim for a Knighting

Last November I found out that my friend Anton would be sitting vigil to become a Knight in the SCA.  For those who aren't aware - that's a really big deal and it can take many years to achieve.  I wanted to contribute since he said he liked my stuff, so I went ahead and made him the lanyard he said he wanted to commission from me (easy peasy, right??).  I posted the lanyard in a previous entry because it ended up winning the beginner A&S competition at Yule.  Then I saw that his lady was looking for people to help make his regalia for the ceremony, and after some back and forth we decided that I'd do the trim for his tunic.

At the time this was the most terrifying prospect I had ever signed myself up for.

Not only was I fairly new at all of this I - 1.) care about Anton and wanted him to look really nice on his special day, 2.) knew that this would be seen by a lot of people, 3.) wanted to give him something that wasn't just a run of the mill easy pattern so it would be "special" and "fancy."

So basically that meant I had to up my game *and* execute the whole thing to my standard of perfection.  Thankfully, I didn't have to choose the colors or anything like that - I just had to select the final pattern and do the weaving in the amount requested.

Here it is off the tunic and on the finished product.  I'm really pleased with it - it is a really small part of the overall look, but I'm happy to have contributed a portion and did my part to make it look nice!  Next time I'll be a little less nervous, I think, but I was really glad to have this experience - it built my confidence a lot!





2 comments: