Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Tri-Baronial Yule and Giftmas


I created a lot of gifts for the holiday season that I wanted to share (now that they've been gifted).  Mainly trim for garments, but still fun and exciting for me!  I got to try out a new loom that was gifted to me for long term borrowing by a friend (I made him trim as a thank you).  I also participated in my first A&S competition with the SCA at the Tri-Baronial Yule.  November-December was a very busy month!

All patterns I use are mostly found here: https://www.pinterest.com/kiserai/viking-tablet-weaving-patterns/

I wanted to do something special for some friends (who happen to be a couple) and decided to do couples matching trim for them!  I later copied this for myself and my boyfriend!  I picked a simple pattern since I was going to be making quite a bit of it and used colors of silk that they chose.  This pattern is an all tablets forward/backward pattern that can be found on pinterest.  I modified it a little to get a width I thought would look nice (mainly adding or subtracting cards from the border).  I used my medium sized modified inkle (designed for card weavers) and my new larger loom for the thinner trim.




Here's the trim I did for another trim I did for a friend who is letting me borrow the larger loom seen above.  This is a modified Greek Key trim that is woven to look a little more Asian inspired.  I'm not overly familiar with Asian-style trim, so I'm erring on the side of that's what the commissioner desired!  I'm glad he is happy with it!

This pattern is available on the pinterest page I linked and is an "all forward" pattern.  I reversed a few times because I was weaving this trim on a loom, but it looks nice in the colors he chose!



I also participated in the Tri-Baronial Yule's A&S competition.  I was a little scared, but I wanted to get my feet wet and it seemed like a very nice/friendly way to start off!  I got a lot of help from Tullia Saturnina's (Sharon) blog on how to structure/document research for submitting to A&S competitions.  I wrote my first paper and was overall very pleased with my first effort.  The item I made was a sword lanyard for my friend Anton's knighting - his excellency has received the item, so I can post about it now.

The Oseberg pattern is one I've documented in the past (my beau's favor is the same pattern - posted earlier).  It is an all forward pattern that I like to do in wool because it comes out very nicely!

I was really proud of the example I submitted to the competition, I felt that it was a really well executed example for me!  The selvages looked nice, the tension was very consistent - overall, I thought it was a really great piece for submission.

At the competition, I left a comment book for the judges (and other observers) and got some really nice, helpful feedback.  I also managed to win the beginner category (I chose some very nice wool as my prize).  Overall, the whole experience was very fun and gave me a lot of confidence to try more competitions in the future.  I have a lot of growing to do in terms of my research, and the historical accuracy of my weaving, but I think I can get there if I keep making these kinds of attempts.















I started working on largesse for my barony, too, which I hadn't done before!  I made a set of normal garters first (very basic forward/back pattern) and tried to choose colors anyone would be happy to received.  Hopefully whoever received them will enjoy them!  I also got a lot of assistance with how to label them, since I've never done that before either.  Lots of firsts!  I think it turned out very nice!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love watching you grow in this art.

    ReplyDelete